In anticipation of the release of the results of the 2020 Census, COLab partners were joined by Kim Davis, Data Dissemination Specialist from the U.S. Census Bureau.
Videos for each session below, followed by the slide deck and additional resources from the Census Bureau.
DATA ON A DEADLINE — CENSUS OVERVIEW
(a.k.a. What you didn’t know you didn’t know about the census database)
Data on a Deadline is a workshop for journalists, designed to give reporters an overview of the power of census data. Reporters will learn about the American Community Survey, the three Censuses, County Business Patterns, and many other sources of data. You will also learn how to navigate tools such as Quick Facts, Facts for Features, Narrative Profiles, Census Business Builder – Regional Analyst Edition and the Census COVID Hub. Topics include how to access and use demographic, socioeconomic, housing, and business data to generate and enhance your stories.
YOUR COMMUNITY BY THE NUMBERS — A HANDS-ON HOW-TO WITH CENSUS.DATA.GOV
Your Community by the Numbers is workshop designed to understand what makes up a community and the various geographic levels to explore data. Participants will learn about data releases, how to compare and understand researching data, how to use data.census.gov to access the most current and relevant demographic, socioeconomic, and housing statistics about your community from the American Community Survey (ACS). During this training, you will learn about the ACS and other Census Bureau programs, geographies, and datasets available. You will also learn how to use the search and navigation features in data.census.gov as well as how to download tables and create thematic maps.
ADDITIONAL TOOLS FROM THE WORKSHOPS
- Visual Tools
- Slide deck from Data on a Deadline
- Accessing Data — Links and Instructions for search done on Workshop Part Two.
Example — search by Race
Note: Page layouts will look and feel the same way with menu on left, description at top, relevant information down the center. They will show resource of data by survey, what is available by the data sets.
- Resource library:
- Tool: How we collected race over time: https://www.census.gov/data-tools/demo/race/MREAD_1790_2010.html
- Live demo – Data.census.gov
- Search by Topic – race & ethnicity
- Search by geography – Broomfield & Brighton
- Brighton, CO Profile
- Brighton, CO – ACS SELECTED SOCIAL CHARACTERISTICS TableID: DP02
- Brighton, CO ACS SELECTED ECONOMIC CHARACTERISTICS TableID: DP03
- Brighton, CO – ACS SELECTED HOUSING CHARACTERISTICS TableID: DP04
- Brighton, CO – ACS DEMOGRAPHIC AND HOUSING ESTIMATES TableID: DP05
- Resource library: