Development Director — Colorado News Collaborative
The Colorado News Collaborative is a nonprofit working with more than 170 news outlets and their communities across Colorado to bring better news to all Coloradans. We do that by innovating the practice of journalism to better serve our communities and our democracy. We are looking for a Development Director who will help connect COLab and its partners with philanthropic donors whose interests match our mission.
We are seeking someone who is passionate about the idea that quality journalism can change lives for the better. You should have both experience and fresh ideas about to inspire philanthropic support.
About the Role
The Development Director reports directly to and works closely with the Executive Director to expand and diversify contributed revenue, including foundations, corporations, and individual donors. COLab seeks a Director who can grow our annual contributed revenue from $1,000,000 to $1,500,000 over the next 24-36 months while they strengthen our systems and processes. The Director also leads training for COLab’s media partners on how to carry out fundraising campaigns.
The Director is responsible for the creation and implementation of an overarching strategy, which includes annual fund, major gifts and planned giving programs, campaigns for specific projects, and events. The Director will continue to build the knowledge and skills of the entire organization to better support our contributed revenue strategy and goals and be champions for the organization. As a member of the Leadership Team, the Director shares responsibility and accountability for the overall performance of the organization, including the vibrancy of its culture and its fundraising efforts. Specific responsibilities include but are not limited to:
Organizational Leadership and Management
- As a member of the Leadership Team, contribute to the organization’s vision, strategy and cultural development.
- As a spokesperson of the organization, demonstrate and model deep understanding and passion for mission, including strong commitment to equity and inclusion.
Fundraising Strategy and Execution
- Develop and manage the execution of the overall strategy to ensure long-term, recurring, diversified funds that enable the organization to thrive
- Identify, research, prioritize, and cultivate individual and institutional donor prospects for initial engagement and cultivation, with input from the Executive Director and others
- Refine and expand our qualified prospect list that includes all current donors and prospects, including new donors capable of making annual gifts of $5,000 or more
- Create and manage the annual fund and expand the organization’s donor base
- Strengthen our major gifts and planned giving programs
- Partner with the Executive Director and potential committees to plan future campaigns
- Oversee a compelling development-event strategy, including luncheons, salons, private dinners, and donor briefings
- Plan and lead annual fundraising campaign training for cohorts of approximately 25 COLab media partners
- Ensure complete and accurate donor tracking and monitoring systems, fundraising database (Salesforce), prospect research, and grant reporting
- Ensure complete and accurate gift entry and acknowledgment processes related to both annual fund donors and major gift donors
- Develop systems for accurate monthly, quarterly, and annual reporting of progress toward goals, comparison to past performance, and other analyses
- Assess the fit of our current system, Salesforce, to our future needs
- In partnership with the finance and accounting, ensure development remains compliant with current accounting practices and tax law and collaborate on the preparation of necessary documentation
- Oversees the creation of key written and video communications including the annual report, and fundraising newsletters
- Create and manage processes to ensure consistent and clear messaging in all communications, including marketing and local community communications
- Oversees public relations activities that advance strategic development goals
- Experience with, and/or passion for mission and for journalism
- Proven success with individual and major giving, grant writing, event planning and corporate sponsorship management
- Experience developing, planning, and leading comprehensive development strategies
- Ability to integrate an organizational commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion into the development and execution of fundraising strategy
- A proven track record of cultivating, stewarding, and closing major gifts from individuals, corporations, and foundations
- Experience collaborating with executive leadership (Executive Director, CEO), board members/trustees and community leaders
- Superb written and oral communication skills, with experience communicating effectively in one on one and large group settings
- Meticulous organizational skills; ability to prioritize multiple tasks and meet deadlines
- Ability to build and maintain robust systems and processes
- Ability to create and cultivate a collegial and positive work environment with high morale, professional standards, and productivity
- Ability to determine where to work independently and where work will benefit from collaboration and, as needed, direction
- Preferred: experience harnessing Salesforce or other fundraising systems to achieve outcomes
Location and Travel
This role may be remote within Colorado, but may require time in the office on a regular basis (several days a month). The Development Director is likely to have some additional work travel, not more than 10% of the total work time.
Compensation and Benefits
We believe that to meet our mission, you will need to be able to do your best work in a place that makes you feel supported, welcomed and valued. We pay a wage that is commensurate with your experience and competitive with similar jobs. We’ve targeted this salary at a range of $70,000 to $85,000. COLab offers a generous benefits package, including: paid time off in addition to 12 paid holidays per year; employer contribution to medical and dental insurance for staff and optional benefits for family members (including domestic partners); life insurance; and a 401k plan.
Equal Opportunity Employer
The Colorado News Collaborative is committed to advancing diversity, equity, and inclusion in our staff, volunteers, programs, and partners. We encourage applicants of diverse abilities, backgrounds, and life experiences to apply. COLab also is committed to equal employment opportunities and prohibits the unlawful discrimination against applicants or employees based on race, color, national origin, ancestry, creed, religion, sex, age, disability, genetic information, veteran status, sexual orientation, marital status, gender identity or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law.